I love a good themed week of fun, but ain’t nobody got time for that anymore! I literally have 30 minutes of whole group time a day! A DAY! and I try to get some writing done during that time, so this doesn’t leave us with too much wiggle room. And I know many of you are in the same boat when it comes to tight schedules and getting your standards taught.
So I wanted to share what we did with bats this past week without compromising any of the flow of our day or straying from the current standards we are teaching!
We have been working A LOT with using adjectives correctly for about a month! I’d hoped it wouldn’t take this long, but it is what it is! So I hung up 6 photos of various bats around the room. The kids got 3 stickies, and for some independent work while they were not in a guided reading group, placed an adjective on 3 different photos. Afterwards we pulled them all down, decided if they were indeed adjectives, then each kiddo wrote 3 sentences about bats using 2 adjectives in each. We are trying to get away from just writing a string of random adjectives!
During guided reading groups we used our October Scholastic News to pre-assess which text features our kids already knew and which they confused. I just cut up some sticky notes and had them number 1-6. They were asked to label each of the text features used in the magazine before we read, then we discussed why the author used them and how they help us understand the text better.
Last week we began our measurement unit in math. After learning how to actually hold and use a ruler, we learn why sometimes we should use a ruler to measure while other times it would make more sense to use a meter stick. Our students really have no background with meter or yard sticks so we have to really show why it isn’t reasonable to use a little ruler to measure a bus or a yardstick to measure the length of someone’s hair! I have used Cara’s bat craft for this standard for several years (I’ve also used it to sort quadrilaterals from other polygons when we used another pacing guide). It is perfect! Plenty of room for sorting! And this year I added another measurement piece, too.
I’ve been using Katie and Amy’s Rooted in Reading with my RtI groups all month. We used Stellaluna first and focused on character traits and then character change. We did directed bat drawings and colored character trait words using 3 different colors for beginning, middle, and end. I’ll get that picture added tomorrow! I did not use Nightsong this year just out of sheer lack of time, but I have lots on character in that book companion! And it’s such a gorgeous story.
This face! It’s the face of someone who does not like losing…not that it was a race! On Friday my students were challenged to make a bat (a paper one) fly from one end of a string to the other without touching it. I’ll go into more details on tomorrow’s post on the STEM challenge. I am trying to do a challenge each Friday and I’ve really sort of trained myself since our district hasn’t offered any professional development, so be nice if I do something wrong!
My teammate, her student teacher, and I did want to set the stage and really get the kiddos excited, so during our planning Monday we decorated our little “nook” like a bat cave! The could not get over it when they came back from PE! We crumpled LOTS of brown bulletin board paper (the school’s because I hoard mine that I buy!) and I stapled 3-D bat decorations I picked up at Target all over. Then I hung our bat work on the door and in the hallway to add some more battiness. Luckily our fire marshal skipped this week!
and I can’t resist a chance to change up our Class Dojo avatars! Read this post to see how to do this!
So I compiled lots of freebies for you! Remember to pin them so hope you can use them next year! Click the picture to go to my TpT shop and download these goodies!